This weblog involves us from Tyrone Harmon – aka “Ty the Cyber Man” – an influential voice in cybersecurity, with an lively presence on social media along with his video sequence #CybersecuriTEA.
Ty is a Cybersecurity Specialist at Cisco and the improbable host for Cisco Networking Academy’s #BeCyberSmart digital occasion on June 30, 2022. Ty can be joined by Josh McCloud, Nationwide Safety Supervisor at Cisco, and Semyon Ovsyannikov, an schooling and expertise knowledgeable with Cisco Networking Academy. Register now for Cisco Networking Academy’s #BeCyberSmart Digital Occasion.
Hey there, Tyrone Harmon right here. Chances are you’ll know me by my alter ego, Ty the Cyber Man, who’s on a mission to assist everybody keep secure on-line. As we speak I’m coming at you with info on how one can be #BeCyberSmart. Listed here are 5 issues you could be overlooking in relation to defending your self on-line:
- Use a VPN. A VPN, or digital personal community, is software program that protects your info on-line. It does this by masking your gadget IP tackle, encrypting your knowledge, and routing it by way of safe networks. VPNs allow you to browse the web securely and anonymously. Use an internet VPN comparability information to seek out the one which most accurately fits your wants.
- Use good password hygiene. Create robust passwords by utilizing higher and lower-case letters, numbers, and particular characters. Suppose by way of size, too. An extended password is normally higher than a extra random password should you can hold it lower than 12-15 characters lengthy. Use a password supervisor to assist handle a number of password (and so that you don’t use the identical password in every single place). Additionally, use a multi-factor authentication for further safety, like Duo Safety.
- Be vigilant in opposition to phishing – suppose earlier than you click on. Over a 3rd of cyber assaults come within the type of phishing, and most phishing occurs by way of e-mail. Scammers create pretend hyperlinks to pretend web sites that look equivalent to actual websites and use these to acquire your delicate info, like checking account passwords and bank card numbers. When doubtful, don’t click on.
- Watch out for social engineering. Family and friends aren’t the one ones listening to the knowledge you share on-line. Verify the privateness settings in your social accounts. Be cautious about sharing private monetary info, akin to your checking account quantity, social safety quantity, or bank card quantity. Solely share private info on safe websites that start with https://. Don’t use websites with invalid certificates.
- Be cyber acutely aware. There’s much more to be taught in relation to on-line security. Do your homework and benefit from studying alternatives akin to Cisco Networking Academy’s free Introduction to Cybersecurity course.
So, there you’ve it – 5 prime suggestions from Ty the Cyber Man (that’s me) to assist shield you a bit extra on-line. Come be a part of me at our free digital occasion #BeCyberSmart on June 30 the place we’ll hear from some cool, main Cisco safety specialists on methods to be a constructive agent within the battle in opposition to cybercrime.
Register now for Cisco Networking Academy’s
June 30, 2022