Preventable hurt within the healthcare system is an pressing public well being problem, internationally and in the US. Globally, extra folks die now from medical errors or different breakdowns within the high quality and security of healthcare companies than from lack of entry to them. (1) Researchers estimate that remedy errors, preventable infections, venous thromboembolism, falls, and different preventable harms in hospitals take the lives of 400,000 or extra People yearly. (2)(3)
That’s the place we are available. We’re the founders of the US department of Sufferers for Affected person Security (PFPS US), a world community of affected person and household representatives established by the World Well being Group (WHO) in 2004. We’re people who’ve skilled medical error as a affected person or in our households. Our mission is to make efficient change in the US by actively supporting the implementation of the brand new WHO International Affected person Security Motion Plan 2021-2030 in our nation. Canada and different nations have established and grown their very own branches. PFPS US now follows their lead and our community of affected person security representatives and our companions are devoted to making sure protected healthcare is obtainable to all. PFPS US is led by Sue Sheridan and co-founders are Margo Burrows, Steve Burrows, Lt. Col. Steven L. Espresso, Alicia Cole, Martin J. Hatlie, Carole Hemmelgarn, Soojin Jun, Armando Nahum and Beth Daley Ullem.
As engaged affected person security representatives, we see too little progress in assembly the objectives set forth 20 years in the past within the U.S. Institute of Medication’s 1999 name to motion, To Err is Human [PDF – 10 pages], which referred to as for a 90% discount in medical errors in 10 years. Whereas we’re grateful for the continued focus and success in stopping healthcare-associated infections in healthcare settings in the US, there may be extra work to be carried out. Medical errors now vie with COVID-19 infections because the third largest explanation for preventable dying in the US. (4) There’s a important want for affected person security options to be embedded throughout each private and non-private healthcare sectors. We should prioritize this downside that impacts so many households like ours.
In 2019 the World Well being Meeting established September 17 as World Affected person Security Day and handed a decision calling on each nation to implement particular methods proven to scale back hurt and dying from medical error. In Could 2021, the WHO International Affected person Security Motion Plan 2021-2030 was adopted, outlining seven strategic aims and calling upon governments, healthcare leaders, sufferers and households, and different stakeholders to work collectively to realize them. The aims embody:
- Develop authorities insurance policies to eradicate avoidable hurt in well being care
- Embed high-reliability security methods in healthcare organizations that defend each sufferers and the healthcare workforce
- Guarantee adoption of and accountability for following protected medical processes
- Interact affected person and members of the family as companions in co-producing insurance policies and options
- Spend money on well being employee schooling and abilities constructing that prioritize affected person security
- Advance continued innovation in data use, analysis and threat administration
- Work collectively synergistically in partnership and solidarity in direction of lowering all preventable hurt in healthcare
PFPS US is devoted to advancing these aims in the US, and we welcome different sufferers and members of the family, authorities businesses, healthcare organizations and different stakeholder organizations to affix us as companions going ahead. Go to the PFPS US web site for extra data.
- Kruk ME et al, Mortality because of low-quality well being methods within the common well being protection period: a scientific evaluation of amenable deaths in 137 nations, The Lancet, 2018; 392: 10160, pp 2203-2212-2236. Out there at: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(18)31668-4/fulltext. Accessed September 24, 2021.
- Makary MA, Daniel M. Medical error-the third main explanation for dying within the US.BMJ. 2016;353:i2139. Out there at: http://www.bmj.com/content material/353/bmj.i2139. Accessed September 24, 2021.
- James JT., A New, Proof-based Estimate of Affected person Harms Related to Hospital Care, J Affected person Saf. 2013;9:122–128. Out there at: http://journals.lww.com/journalpatientsafety/Fulltext/2013/09000/.
- Makary, Medical Error-the third main explanation for dying.
Armando and his spouse, Victoria, started their work in affected person security and engagement after three members of their household developed infections in three totally different hospitals, in three totally different states in 10 months’ time, culminating with the dying of their son, Josh. He was simply 27. Armando’s affected person security work has been featured on nationwide and native tv and radio packages, together with the CBS Night Information with Katie Couric, FOX Information, CNN: The Scenario Room with Wolf Blitzer and The Dr. Oz Present, in addition to in quite a few articles in journals and publications together with An infection Management Right this moment and CNN’s The Empowered Affected person, The Wall Avenue Journal, The Washington Publish, and The New York Occasions.