Mobile know-how, evolving from 2G, 3G, 4G/LTE and now 5G, is among the important pillars of commercial IoT networks. It permits connectivity with 1000’s of distant gadgets deployed within the subject, throughout industries and use instances.
Like every know-how, mobile know-how evolves over time as new releases of 3GPP specs are developed, applied by distributors, and adopted by providers suppliers or non-public networks operators. At present, the primary market development is 4G/LTE providers, whereas new 5G providers at the moment are showing around the globe.
What about legacy 2G and 3G providers nonetheless in use on many industrial deployments around the globe?
The variety of mobile gadgets reached 8.6 billion in 2021 and related purposes are rising exponentially. Repurposing spectrum beforehand utilized on 2G and 3G networks to be used with sooner and extra environment friendly 4G/LTE and 5G providers is a part of all cell community operators planning. The dates for the sundown of 2G and 3G applied sciences differ by world area and cell operator. Finish customers should concentrate on these sundown dates and migrate to 4G/LTE connectivity prior to those dates to stop lack of connectivity.
2G and 3G sundown overview
Whereas the under listing of sundown schedules for worldwide 2G and 3G cell operators just isn’t exhaustive, it helps you to begin planning for the influence in your industrial IoT community.
Industrial IoT routers – modularity a KEY requirement
Industrial IoT networks leveraging mobile applied sciences are usually deployed for 5-10 years. The cellphones business, with its practically 15 billion gadgets [Statista], has a shorter life span of 18-30 months [Statista U.S.]. This represents a problem for modem distributors. They need to renew their chipset to align with new 3GPP releases, whereas sustaining older generations of modem chipsets and firmware. That’s the reason the deployment of commercial IoT routers resembling the most recent Cisco IR sequence with modular mobile interface permits future proofing and easy evolution of mobile know-how with out changing all gear.
Cisco industrial IoT routers – making ready for 3G sundown
All Cisco industrial IoT routers assist 4G/LTE, even these bought within the final 10 years. It means your industrial IoT community is usually prepared for the 3G sundown. The next greatest practices will guarantee a easy transition from 3G to 4G.
- Run probably the most current Cisco IOS or Cisco IOS-XE releases
- Improve your modem firmware to the latest launch accessible on Cisco.com on your modem kind. Bear in mind that Cisco IOS upgrades don’t replace your modem’s firmware.
- Validate that your SIM subscription is 4G/LTE enabled and evaluation your knowledge plan as applicable.
- Lock your mobile interface configuration to “all-LTE-only” to keep away from any 3G fallback that will disrupt the communications.
- Monitor the 4G/LTE sign high quality in case radio protection is completely different between 3G and 4G/LTE providers.
- Evaluation Cisco’s router antennas information in case you want to plan for brand spanking new 4G/LTE (e.g. CBRS B48) or 5G (e.g. n77, n78) frequency bands. If required, plan to improve the antennas accordingly.
- Automation and community administration instruments and safety greatest practices don’t require modifications.