These coconut waffles are made with coconut flour and chia seeds making the last word wholesome breakfast recipe everybody can take pleasure in. No dairy or eggs required! Vegan and gluten-free.
These coconut waffles got here collectively fairly seamlessly. That is how the dialog went Sunday morning. “Candy or savoury?”…”Candy” …”pancakes or waffles?”….”waffles” …”chocolate, coconut or carrot?”…”coconut”. It was that easy. I made a decision to problem myself and make them gluten-free and vegan in order many individuals as doable may take pleasure in them!
These are SERIOUSLY good. Topped with banana, almond coconut butter and coconut flakes. This breakfast made me really feel like I used to be eating in Hawaii. In case you are additionally an enormous coconut fan or are simply in want of a style of the tropics then you must completely make these Coconut Waffles!
Right here’s What You Want
- chia seeds – to make a chia egg by mixing with heat water.
- coconut flour – the bottom of this recipe. I really like that coconut flour provides a little bit further coconut taste and sweetness.
- oat flour – make your individual by grinding oats or use store-bought oat flour. Gluten-free all-purpose flour additionally works.
- unsweetened coconut flakes – to play up the coconut taste! Be sure you seize unsweetened coconut flakes.
- baking powder – helps the waffles rise a bit.
- cinnamon – the proper spice pairing.
- vanilla – a taste enhancer.
- maple syrup – including only a trace of pure sweetness to the batter. I clearly love topping with extra maple syrup as nicely!
- coconut oil – some oil can be blended into the batter and a few can be used to grease the waffle iron.
- lite coconut milk – the primary liquid supply in these waffles. I used mild coconut milk which wasn’t too thick however nonetheless added coconut taste. Any dairy-free milk would work right here.
- pinch of salt – to carry the entire flavors collectively.
Methods to Make a Chia Egg
As a way to maintain this recipe vegan, we used chia seeds rather than eggs. Chia seeds could make a fantastic vegan binding agent as a result of they create a gel-like consistency when blended with water. This helps to bind the vegan coconut waffles collectively in order that they maintain their form and get the identical crispiness that common waffles do. Right here’s the right way to make a chia egg:
Mix 1 half chia seed to three elements heat water. Within the case of this recipe, we’ll use 2 tbsp of chia seeds and 6 tbsp of heat water. It’s essential to let the chia egg aspect in a small bowl for 5-10 minutes to permit the chia eggs to soak up the water. As soon as they’re gel like and maintain collectively you understand the chia egg is able to be blended in.
Methods to Make Coconut Waffles
STEP 1: Whisk collectively the chia egg and put aside to let it gelatinize.
STEP 2: Mix the dry substances (coconut flour, oat flour, coconut flakes, baking powder, cinnamon and salt) in a big bowl.
STEP 3: Soften the coconut oil and mix with the vanilla, maple syrup and coconut milk. Add within the chia egg.
STEP 4: Add the moist substances to the dry substances and blend totally. The waffle batter can be thick!
STEP 5: Spray a preheated waffle iron with non-stick spray or grease with melted coconut oil. Add the matter to the iron and observe the waffle iron directions to let you know when the waffle is finished.
Methods to Serve Coconut Waffles
Prime the waffles with any mixing of selection! Listed below are some concepts I really like:
- bananas or contemporary berries
- almond butter or coconut butter
- maple syrup
- shredded coconut
Coconut Waffles – Vegan and Gluten-Free
- Prep Time: 15
- Complete Time: 30
- Yield: 5 massive waffles 1x
- 2 tbsp chia seeds (blended with 6 tbsp heat water)-to make chia egg
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp of coconut flour
- 1 cup of oat flour (floor oats) – gluten-free flour works right here too
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted (plus extra for greasing waffle-iron)
- 1 1/2 cups lite coconut milk
- pinch of salt
- Activate waffle-iron and let warmth up.
- Whisk collectively chia egg and let sit.
- In a big bowl mix dry substances.
- Soften coconut oil and mix with vanilla, maple syrup, and coconut milk. Add in chia egg.
- Add moist substances to dry substances and blend totally. Waffle batter can be thick.
- Spray waffle iron with non-stick spray or grease utilizing melted coconut oil.
- Add batter to iron and observe waffle iron directions to let you know when the waffle is finished.
- Prime with mixings of selection. I like bananas and almond butter however maple syrup can be scrumptious!
Like this recipe? Listed below are a couple of others you would possibly take pleasure in:
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Be a part of 20,000+ members of the THM Neighborhood to get entry to unique recipes, wholesome life-style suggestions and behind-the-scenes information from our crew!