Decreasing prices and downtime whereas growing efficiencies are key advantages of implementing a Good Water strategy. However ageing SCADA programs and safety are sometimes a hurdle to doing so. Add to that, funding limitations or a abilities hole amongst staff, and operators of water utilities might determine to delay modernization. Because of the U.S. bi-partisan Infrastructure Funding and Jobs Act (IIJA) there’s a distinctive alternative to deal with these areas of vital infrastructure by digitizing our water programs. By doing so, our communities can innovate at scale for a extra inclusive and sustainable future.
IIJA provides state and native governments a historic alternative to be higher stewards of our water sources by investing in long-term, sustainable, and safe infrastructure options. It additionally permits us to reshape our picture of vital infrastructure—from one in every of simply metal and concrete—to at least one that leverages know-how for distant monitoring and testing via automation.
Why digitize your vital infrastructure
Creating Web of Issues (IoT) readiness, system capability, and system efficiencies are key to securing vital infrastructure and constructing resiliency. As a foundational a part of this infrastructure, water utilities now have entry to dependable and safe applied sciences that may assist them readily obtain tangible enterprise outcomes via digitization. Making a “digital layer” of water operations needs to be a key element of your new initiatives going ahead, and IIJA funding might help facilitate and speed up its deployment.
Consider digitization as a brand new instrument for securing your water infrastructure. With it, you may hold services, gear, and different property protected from cyber threats. A Good Water strategy permits you to:
- Cut back OpEx and enhance operational efficiencies
- Assist a cell and hybrid workforce via real-time dispatching, routing, and data sharing
- Present real-time asset monitoring, troubleshooting, and reporting
- Monitor and meet regulatory compliance/mandate necessities
- Enhance customer support and satisfaction.
Digitization may also velocity incident response and remediation, serving to to maintain your programs and providers on-line throughout occasions of stress.
Creating a digital technique for Good Water
It’s vital for governments and utilities already concerned in Good Water operations, or planning to make the transfer, to develop an general digital technique that may assist information the success of present and future initiatives.
As you develop your digital technique, think about the next:
- Acquire a agency understanding of IIJA and the funding alternatives it offers. The Cisco Public Funding Workplace might help you whereas aligning together with your particular wants. They will additionally present you learn how to develop a extra holistic technique for IT and OT convergence amongst your varied stakeholders (enterprise leaders, CIOs, and know-how groups).
- Begin with pilot initiatives that mean you can experiment with applied sciences and discover the appropriate consolation degree in your crew. Beginning small additionally permits you to do extra productive testing and discover extra choices than with a large-scale undertaking. As you develop greatest practices from smaller initiatives, they will simply be scaled up throughout your group as alternatives come up.
- Discover partnerships with personal sector specialists. Their experience can typically drive higher outcomes. Plus, their prior experiences, each good and dangerous, might help you keep away from expensive or well timed errors.
4 enabling applied sciences for Good Water
With the expansion of wi-fi applied sciences and sensors, administration of water sources has develop into a lot simpler. Usually, these applied sciences are simple to deploy and could be managed remotely, to drive innovation at scale. They embrace:
- SCADA System Modernization and Cybersecurity that includes real-time knowledge capturing and management
- Situation-Based mostly Monitoring for a world of real-time knowledge and predictive analytics
- Superior Metering Infrastructure (AMI) to allow automation
- Water high quality and flood monitoring.
IIJA funding might help you deploy these and different Good Water options to enhance efficiencies, improve safety, and supply higher entry to an more and more helpful useful resource (discover options).
As a trusted and confirmed associate of vital infrastructure operators world wide, Cisco can give you knowledgeable recommendation and steering for digitizing your water operations. Our Good Water strategy affords safe and dependable options, superior providers, architectures, and funding help. Collectively, they exhibit why Cisco is the one in every of most trusted enterprise advisors within the trade.
Further Good Water sources