When your world is turned upside-down with worry of an unknown future, right here is how I cling to religion in uncertainty and lean into God throughout these seasons.
I awoke this morning and every part was positive.
I’m 38 1/2 weeks pregnant with our wholesome, lively child boy. The solar was shining and birds had been chirping as Boots and I went on our regular morning stroll.
We’d simply arrived again house and I used to be sitting on the entrance steps, having fun with the attractive Colorado morning after I received a name from my husband, Adam.
The primary phrases out of his mouth had been, “I’ve some unlucky information.”
And, instantly, I braced myself for no matter could be coming subsequent.
“The corporate is doing short-term lay-offs efficient tomorrow and I used to be the final one on the listing to be laid off.”
This was utterly out of the blue. There had been no discussions about finances cuts or anything. There was no warning in any respect earlier than this.
My coronary heart began beating sooner and my thoughts began racing.
“So…what does that imply so far as well being insurance coverage?” I requested.
“It might be terminated instantly,” he reluctantly replied.
And my coronary heart sank.
Dropping medical health insurance and his revenue every week and a half earlier than my due date was not in our plans!
There is no such thing as a timeline for these “short-term” lay-offs. They might final 2 weeks, 2 months, or a yr. No person is aware of proper now.
Thankfully, that wasn’t the top of our story in the present day. As a result of he was the final on the listing to be let go, he was supplied one accessible place they’d accessible in Wyoming. There will probably be a pay lower and a commute concerned, however he’ll nonetheless have a job and we’ll nonetheless have medical health insurance.
I used to be so grateful, however, even with ultimately getting that excellent news, my feelings had already been despatched right into a tailspin.
Sinking Into The What-Ifs Vs Staying Rooted In The What-Is
I understand how lucky we’re. There have been 8 different males on his crew alone (and lots of extra throughout the state) who simply misplaced their jobs with none discover in any respect.
However, actually, I didn’t really feel lucky in that second.
I felt scared.
My thoughts was reeling with all the what-ifs.
What would we have now achieved shedding medical health insurance after I may ship at any time? Would I nonetheless be capable to see my physician? Would we be capable to afford the supply and care we would wish on the hospital? Can we even have the time to determine any of those solutions out?
It was so irritating to think about all the potentialities.
However I had sunk into the what-ifs as a substitute of staying rooted within the actuality of what-is.
Was it scary to think about the potential of shedding his revenue and advantages in a cut up second? In fact it was!
However that wasn’t my actuality. That wasn’t my reality.
Certain, there are adjustments that we’re going to want to regulate to. We don’t even know what all of these adjustments will probably be but!
However the reality is, he nonetheless has his job. He nonetheless has advantages.
Worrying about what may have occurred isn’t serving to anybody proper now.
So, I had a alternative. I may preserve letting myself spiral or I could possibly be extra proactive about my response.
Proper after Adam and I received married, we handled a automotive accident, sudden medical payments, debt, and a job loss. As a lot as I want it had been, life is just not at all times secure or predictable.
I haven’t at all times chosen effectively in uncertainty, however I do strive my finest to cling to religion.
How I Cling To Religion in Uncertainty
#1 – Flip To God
My enterprise accomplice, Sara, has been doing a beautiful collection referred to as Religion Over Concern with each day Bible readings and movies this month.
As quickly as I hung up the telephone with Adam, I pulled up her video for the morning as a result of I may really feel myself spiraling a bit and I knew I wanted some Reality to hold onto.
I’m not saying that was a straightforward or pure first step.
Sure, I knew I wanted some Reality, however what I felt like doing was going again to mattress, letting my thoughts go haywire, calling mates to complain and get sympathy, and grabbing a bag of chocolate (sure, at 7:30am…even after shedding 100 kilos and sustaining it for years, operating to meals for consolation and distraction remains to be a temptation!).
However I do know myself effectively sufficient to know that simply permitting myself to comply with what I really feel like doing within the second may do extra hurt than good and lead me to self-destruction.
I didn’t get to decide on our scenario, however I do get to decide on how I reply to it.
What I did as a substitute to show to God:
- I learn Scripture. I watched Sara’s Religion Over Concern video and skim Psalm 121 alongside along with her.
- I wrote down 5 issues I’m grateful for. I strive to do that each single morning, nevertheless it was particularly vital to redirect my ideas in the present day. (Should you want some further assist getting began, I’ve 31 gratitude journal prompts right here.)
- I poured out my coronary heart to God in a written prayer in my journal. I’ve at all times been an enormous feeler, feeling feelings very, very strongly. I’ve needed to be very intentional about permitting myself to totally really feel my emotions, but in addition not permitting them to overhaul me or information my selections. It’s a fragile stability that I don’t at all times get proper, however that’s at all times my aim! (I’ve journal prompts to your quiet time, too!)
- I took my ideas captive. It didn’t occur instantly, however I began recognizing after I was needlessly worrying or believing issues that simply weren’t true. After I began imagining the what-ifs and drifting off into future ideas of how issues may worsen, I reeled my ideas again in and deliberately redirected them. (I exploit these 5 steps to take my ideas captive)
Throughout my prayer time, one thing in my coronary heart shifted.
The place my prayer began considerably frantic and fairly self-focused, it ended with a protracted prayer and a deeply real coronary heart of compassion for the opposite males in his firm getting laid off with none discover and for the care of their households.
That usually occurs in my time with the Lord – my focus is shifted off of myself and onto others.
#2 – Lean Into Group
I discussed earlier that one in every of my temptations was to name my mates to complain about our scenario.
However after the heart-shift that occurs in my time with God, my aim is not to complain or acquire sympathy (that’s why I very deliberately select to show to God BEFORE reaching out to family and friends!).
My aim is to actually and brazenly share the scenario with the folks closest to me in order that we will stroll by way of it collectively.
In these moments of uncertainty, folks in my life provide me:
- Prayer. That is probably the most treasured present to me. I imagine within the energy of prayer and when my very own mind feels too scattered to hope, I do know I’ve folks providing up requests to the Lord on my behalf.
- Help/encouraging phrases. I’m a phrases of affirmation individual, so listening to phrases of help and encouragement lifts me up in methods I can’t even describe. It not solely adjustments my temper, however my total perspective on a scenario.
- Stability. Realizing that I’ve “my” folks there’s such a consolation to me. When issues are altering and shifting and really feel unsure, it’s so reassuring to know that I’ve folks there – typically providing to fulfill my bodily wants and typically simply saying, “I’m right here if that you must discuss.”
#3 – Do What You Can & Let That Be Sufficient
In occasions of uncertainty, there’s a temptation to take the burden of the whole scenario in your shoulders. I really feel it each time.
I find yourself feeling like a failure after I can’t sort things which are completely out of my management.
After I’ve turned to God and introduced in my help system, I do my finest to separate the issues which are inside my management from the issues which are out of my management.
Then I do my finest to focus my time and efforts on the sensible issues I can management.
- My angle (that is most likely the largest one for me!)
- My schedule
- My finances
- My consuming
Something that I can select to vary to enhance the scenario, I’ll.
On the finish of the day, I can solely give my finest and that’s adequate.
Letting go of the issues which are out of your management (like sudden job lay-offs) can relieve a lot of your burden.
And, when you’re something like me, these issues are going to maintain sneaking into your ideas, so keep on guard and don’t enable your self to tackle the burden of issues that you are able to do nothing to vary (sadly, worrying doesn’t repair issues!).
After I’m going by way of these three steps, I do them many times, as typically as I have to. It undoubtedly takes intentionality, however it’s so price it to expertise the peace, consolation, and freedom that comes from leaning into the Lord throughout these occasions.
Pin This Put up For Later!