Welcome to The Betty Rocker Present, the place to be to nourish your thoughts, love your physique, and rock your life.
It’s so nice to have you ever right here as I welcome again the one and solely Dr. Stacy Sims, who’s a scientist, educator and chief within the discipline of girls particular analysis in well being, diet and train. Through the years many ladies have been basing their coaching and diet methods round analysis executed on males, as a result of girls’s hormones have been seen as “too sophisticated” – as we have been actually being not noted of the analysis.
It’s no marvel so many of girls have struggled with understanding what’s occurring with their our bodies, why they’re not responding to the generally prescribed weight loss program and train methods, and why we so typically really feel dismissed by docs for our very legitimate well being considerations. Dr. Sims is on a mission to assist us with women-specific scientific data you can apply instantly!
Dr Sims served as an train physiologist and diet scientist at Stanford College from 2007 via 2012. Her revolutionary e-book, Roar, sparked a motion in the best way we as girls strategy our coaching throughout our lifespan, and her new e-book, Subsequent Stage is designed particularly for the peri and put up menopausal feminine athlete.
I like to recommend each of those books, and in addition having a take heed to the 2-part podcast we did earlier in Season 2 to brush up on the menstrual cycle and its modifications throughout our lifespan, in addition to particular methods you possibly can implement to get probably the most out of your wonderful feminine physique at all ages and life stage.
These methods are all relevant to your Betty Rocker packages and challenges, and can assist you to perceive why they work so effectively and empower you to get much more snug adjusting and customizing issues to the place you’re at in your life.
In the present day, we’re persevering with our dialog with some extra in depth dialogue of dietary methods as they relate to WOMEN particularly, together with low carb diets, intermittent fasting and the ketogenic weight loss program; nutrient timing, why it’s important to give attention to muscle over fats loss, and we’ll be discussing optimum coaching methods for ladies in any respect ages, together with peri and put up menopause, in addition to hormone alternative remedy and adaptogenic herbs.
It is a save and bookmark for reference episode. Thanks for being right here!
“My imaginative and prescient is a world of wholesome girls who perceive their our bodies, know easy methods to work with their distinctive physiology, know their intervals are ergogenic aids and create positivity round being a lady in sport.
Collectively we are able to shift the damaging narrative and elevate girls in analysis, science, and sport.”
On this episode, you’ll uncover:
Welcoming again Dr. Stacy Sims (1:28)
- Dr Sims’ books: Roar and Subsequent Stage
- Take heed to half 1 of the Dr. Stacy Sims interview: diet and coaching via the menstrual cycle
- Take heed to half 2 of the Dr. Stacy Sims interview: diet and coaching for ladies in peri and put up menopause, fad diets and extra
- Dr. Stacy Sims course: Ladies are Not Small Males
- Dr. Stacy Sims course: Menopause for Athletes
What drives Dr. Sims to pursue this work (4:23)
- Empowering girls of all ages
- Breaking down the unfavorable stereotypes of girls’s life stage transitions
- The cultural filter we don’t at all times notice we’re working via
- Ladies’s efficiency potential and the bias within the analysis
- How weight loss program tradition has failed girls
Do low carb diets serve girls’s physiology? (7:59)
- Dr Sims weblog put up: Feminine Athletes Want Carbohydrates
- Metabolic variations between women and men
- Estrogen’s influence on urge for food
- Mind variations between women and men
Why the ketogenic weight loss program and intermittent fasting may match effectively for males however not girls (9:31)
- Analysis on these diets was executed on male take a look at topics
- Physique composition considerations with the ketogenic weight loss program for ladies
- Lack of variety within the keto weight loss program for the intestine microbiome
- Why you burn muscle on the ketogenic weight loss program
Why measuring physique composition is best than weighing your self on the size (13:34)
- How “weight reduction” continues to be a misunderstood objective that’s not serving to girls see actual progress
- The issues that affect your scale weight
- The distinction in composition between muscle and fats
- Why you look leaner once you achieve muscle
Fueling round your exercises and the hazard of low vitality availability (LEA) (15:57)
- Why are we nonetheless demonizing carbohydrates?
- How the physique naturally fluctuates between gas sources
- The nourishment the physique wants simply to exist vs what it wants after we do each day actions
- How the stress of coaching creates variations (after we are fueled)
- How the stress of coaching impacts our thyroid and metabolism after we are under-fueled and coaching
The fallacy of “eat much less, train extra” (20:04)
- The way in which the “eat much less” mindset performs into girls feeling they need to be smaller and take up much less house
- The incorrect form of stress that the “train extra” mindset creates
- The problems with intestine well being, cardiovascular well being and psychological well being from consuming much less
Ladies don’t must shrink for society (21:08)
- The cultural push to “be a sure measurement”
- The unimaginable stress on girls to be smaller
- Ladies ought to take up as a lot house as they like!
- What Stacy’s daughter realized from her mates mother about “what she wanted to do to see her abs”
Consuming to be STRONG, not consuming much less (23:50)
- The misperception about why we should always focus extra on muscle
- How laborious it’s to construct muscle, not to mention “get cumbersome”
- The reason why muscle is so helpful
- Shifting our focus away from fats loss and towards muscular power as the first objective
Changing into autonomous at any age and the the explanation why we practice (27:32)
- Strengthening the physique now determines high quality of life later in life
- Defining your long run imaginative and prescient
- Constructing and preserving lean muscle
- Eager about how one can arrange the longer term model of your self with the actions you are taking as we speak
How peri and put up menopausal girls can set themselves up for fulfillment (30:10)
- Indicators of menopause and modifications girls undergo
- The way in which estrogen and progesterone modifications influence blood sugar stability
- The way in which girls on this life stage can bypass the hormone fluctuation to stimulate muscle development
- Why heavier lifting (than you have been earlier than) is crucial to girls on this life stage
- Why protein consumption and nutrient timing is crucial to girls on this life stage
- Reviewing the best way estrogen and progesterone influence our physique composition objectives after we’re nonetheless biking usually
- The primary and second half of the menstrual cycle and the way our physique responds
- How our hormones change via the levels of girls’s life cycle
- Why it’s important to not take a “no days off” strategy in peri and put up menopause
In the present day’s podcast is delivered to you by ROCK AND RESTORE, my free-form important amino acid components. This nice tasting fruit punch components incorporates 30 servings of all 9 of the important amino acids (together with the BCAA’s) of their free kind for speedy absorption and metabolic use so you possibly can rock your exercises, construct lean muscle, get well quicker, increase your immune system and enhance cognitive perform.
The makes use of and advantages of adaptogenic herbs (43:01)
- Weblog put up: 6 Adaptogens that assist hormone stability
- Dr. Sims’ premium membership (consists of many studying modules, together with one about adaptogenic herbs)
- Peri-menopause signs and the way they’re typically addressed by docs
- Hormone alternative remedy (HRT) as a instrument within the toolbox
- What adaptogens are and the way they work with the physique
- The advantages of ashwaghanda
- How the physique adjusts to the presence of the adaptogens
- The advantages of schisandra
Find out how to join with Dr. Stacy Sims and her work (52:36)
If you’re eager about how one can implement the coaching methods she talked about into your personal life and are feeling overwhelmed by the power coaching or heavy lifting part, I actually encourage you to strategy that with the mentality of lifting heav-IER than you might be proper now. If you happen to’re model new and simply beginning to train ceaselessly, construct a strong base with my foundational body weight packages.
If you happen to’ve constructed a powerful basis or base with body weight exercises, take into account including in dumbbells for additional resistance. If you happen to’ve been in a rut with gentle dumbbells, take into account going up in weight with what you’re at present utilizing so you possibly can’t do as many reps.
When you get to the purpose the place you possibly can’t comfortably maintain the dumbbells however really feel like you could possibly problem your self additional, that’s when it’s time to check out barbells and including weight with weight plates. There’s a progressive facet to this, so don’t really feel like you should go from zero to barbells or that that’s the solely technique to progress.
Dr. Sims and I mentioned this within the first 2 episodes we did collectively, that going heavier is relative to every of us. You wish to do that safely, so constructing a basis first is crucial.
I train you all of this in my problem packages in Rock Your Life. We have now every part from foundational body weight problem packages, to challenges that embody dumbbells and easy residence exercise tools, all the best way as much as weight coaching challenges that you just do with heavier weight, and I train you all of the progressions.
In the present day’s podcast is delivered to you by ROCK YOUR LIFE, my on-line residence exercise studio and uplifting girls’s health group the place you possibly can take pleasure in packages and challenges to construct power for constant, sustainable progress. Take pleasure in new courses every week, wholesome recipes, a personal girls’s solely assist group and MORE!
So should you’re in peri or put up menopause, actually begin to consider how one can practice to extend the problem to your muscle tissues with resistance coaching, and construct on the place you at present are. Do these explosive plyometric strikes that I write into your packages, as they’re way more supportive to your objectives than lengthy endurance cardio, particularly in peri and put up menopause.
If you happen to’re in that peri or put up menopause life stage, you wish to take note of the “polarity” of your coaching depth. If a exercise program is written with 5 days in a row, adapt it in your life stage and do 2 days on, 1 time off, or work out each different day for example. This lets you get well higher, and hit your exercises tougher once you do them and get higher leads to the absence of the circulating estrogen progesterone – assuming you’re additionally fueling appropriately and consuming sufficient protein and entire meals carbs.
And should you’re nonetheless having a daily cycle, you possibly can profit from persevering with to problem your physique with common train and balanced diet as effectively. Your biking estrogen and progesterone provide you with an edge to make your entire exercises much more efficient, however it’s important that you just’re fueling appropriately round your exercises, and never overtraining.
I’ve been having ongoing conversations about ALL of those matters and so many extra inside Rock Your Life, my on-line residence exercise studio and ladies’s health group. In my common workplace hours I’m capable of join with the members and reply their questions and share extra data that pertains to them particularly.
If you happen to’re not a member but, I extremely encourage you to affix us, you may get a 30 day trial and are available see what you’ve been lacking.
I’ve obtained an enormous class library with over 1000 courses of every kind, together with foundational body weight power coaching, exercises the place you possibly can add in some easy residence exercise tools like dumbbells and stretchy bands, all the best way as much as heavier weight coaching courses. There are barre courses, yoga courses, mobility courses, plyometrics and circuit. Plus I’ve obtained dozens of guided exercise challenges to provide the excellent sequence to progress via. I see unimaginable tales each day from my Rock Your life residence gymnasium members, and having the ability to assist them in our personal girls’s health group alongside the Group Betty Rocker coaches is a superb expertise.
Dr Sims and I each share a mission of empowering girls with instruments and information and one of the best factor I provide is Rock Your Life. Doing 1-off exercises is nice, doing a program is nice, however having ongoing challenges and packages over time so you possibly can keep constant and construct a wholesome life-style with steerage from the coaches is absolutely the BEST for seeing lasting outcomes and feeling supported in your journey.
I encourage you to seize that 30 day trial so you possibly can see what it’s all about and take your time having fun with every part I’ve to supply with none stress or obligation.
Thanks a lot for listening to as we speak’s present, and for caring about your well being. Thanks for sharing these podcast episodes together with your family and friends and serving to to empower different girls.
I look ahead to our subsequent dialog.
Love The Betty Rocker Present? We do too!
Share it with your pals, and subscribe in your favourite podcast
participant to be alerted when new reveals drop!
ABOUT THE BETTY ROCKER SHOW:
Be a part of me for open and thought upsetting discussions about well being, health, and easy methods to
cease undermining ourselves – and begin taking significant motion that makes us
position fashions to others…
….and, pay attention to my intimate conversations with wonderful thought leaders, well being care
professionals, athletes and celebrities to study their secrets and techniques and insights for
overcoming life’s challenges, residing longer, more healthy, stronger and extra
New reveals are launched each different week throughout Season 2 of The Betty Rocker Present.
The put up S2 – 14: Ladies Particular Diet and Coaching with Dr. Stacy Sims appeared first on The Betty Rocker.