Full of veggies—zucchini, peas, carrots, peppers, onions—and plant-based seitan, this wholesome, scrumptious, vegan recipe for Veggie Shepherd’s Pie will be made into six particular person servings or one family-sized casserole.
- 5 medium (6 ounces every) potatoes, peeled, halved
- 1 ½ tablespoons dairy-free margarine
- ½ –2/3 cup plant-based milk, plain, unsweetened (i.e., soymilk)
- Salt and pepper (non-obligatory, as desired)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium (2 ounces every) carrots
- 1 giant onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small (7 ounces every) zucchini, sliced
- 1 small (10 ounces) bell pepper (inexperienced, crimson, yellow or orange)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (vegetarian seasoning mix)
- 2 tablespoons contemporary chopped parsley (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon dried mustard
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch sea salt (non-obligatory)
- 8 ounces seasoned seitan, sliced
- 1 ½ tablespoons flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon decreased sodium soy sauce
- Recent herbs (i.e., chives, rosemary, tarragon, thyme)
- To make mashed potatoes: Fill pot with water and convey to boil. Add potatoes, cowl, and prepare dinner till tender (about half-hour). Take away from warmth, drain, and mash with a potato masher or electrical mixer. Add dairy-free margarine, sufficient plant-based milk to make a clean, spreadable mashed potato topping, and salt and pepper (if desired). Put aside.
- Whereas potatoes are cooking, make stew. Warmth olive oil in a big sauce pan, skillet, or sauté pan. Add carrots, onion, garlic, zucchini, and bell pepper and saute for 10 minutes. Add peas, poultry seasoning, parsley, celery salt, mustard, pepper, sea salt (if desired), and seitan and stir properly. Combine flour into broth and add to saute pan and stir properly. Stir in soy sauce. Simmer, coated, stirring regularly, for an extra 10 minutes, till greens are simply tender.
- Whereas greens are simmering, preheat oven to 400 F.
- Divide vegetable stew (about 1 1/8 cups every) amongst 6 oven-proof soup or mini-casserole dishes (about 2 cup dimension). Prime every dish with ½ cup mashed potatoes, smoothing over floor of stew. Alternatively, you may place the entire stew into one giant casserole dish (2 1/2 – 3 quarts in dimension), and unfold all of mashed potatoes over the floor.
- Place dishes on the highest rack of the oven and warmth for about 20 minutes, till combination is golden on high.
To make this recipe gluten-free, substitute tofu for the seitan, and substitute cornstarch for the flour. Use gluten-free soy sauce.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook dinner Time: 50 minutes
- Class: Entree
- Delicacies: English, American
- Serving Measurement: 1 serving
- Energy: 311
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 421 mg
- Fats: 6.5 g
- Saturated Fats: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 51 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 17 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 3 mg
Key phrases: vegan consolation meals, veggie shepherd’s pie, shepherd’s pie